Thursday, 6 September 2012

Movie Review - Possession

Possession
The fingers thing was creepier.
I missed the first few minutes of the movie so if anybody could tell me what happened before the person rang the doorbell while the lady was being attacked, it would be much appreciated.

Possession is about a Jewish box containing an evil spirit that attacks a young girl and how her father and family react.  The premise isn't new as Exorcist popularized the 'child possessed' theme but the move focuses on the father's desperation to find a solution.  The trauma isn't as extensive as it could be; the panic over not knowing what to do with a 'sick' child doesn't quite get under your skin but it's a decent effort.

The scares are another story.  I was sufficiently frightened at certain parts but the trailer gives away much of the elements of horror.  I believe the hand from the mouth was used in Japanese horror.  I'm not too sure but the imagery doesn't seem original to me.  The visuals could have used some work.  The body horror with the little girl is fine but the spirit in the ending really could have been better animated.

My experience is slightly biased because I'm influenced by a different factor.  Somehow, seeing Jeffrey Dean Morgan in a horror setting made me think of the show Supernatural, haha.  One can't fault Possession for being derivative but it could have tried harder.

SPOILERS
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I was expecting Jeffrey Dean Morgan to go all Supernatural here.  He had two kids, same as the show.

What happened to the dentist?  Sad.

'Take me instead' is so Exorcist.

The Jewish guy didn't deserve to die that like in the end.  He was a decent person.

2 comments:

  1. I found The Possession scary at certain points, primarily in scenes where Emily was convulsing because of the demon. I think the creepiest part for me was then they were in the morgue and Emily was talking in both voices. I saw it with a few Dish coworkers and judging by the amount of jumping I saw, I would say they were pretty scared as well. I would really like to see the movie again, but I wouldn’t mind waiting for it to come out on DVD first. I’ve added it to my Blockbuster @Home queue, so it’ll be sent to me as soon as it comes out. I know one thing it for sure; I won’t be shopping at any yard sales anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, could you tell me what happened in the first few minutes? I probably didn't miss much but I'd still like to know. The woman was being ... murdered? Then who was at the bed all injured?

      The garage scene with the dentist (when Emily gave him the tooth) was creepy to me cuz it was happening during the day and I was expecting something horrible to happen, especially when her face was changing.

      Delete