Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Movie Review - Silent Hill 2 Revelations

That's a huge knife... but it's not Pyramid Head's!

   Extra bonus scene! The movie billboard spoil the story! Don't look at the monsters featured there!

   I'm pretty happy that the movie franchise endures. I've only played Silent Hill 2 for Playstation 2 so my knowledge of the deeper Silent Hill mythos is secondhand (still, experiencing the horror of Pyramid Head in the grisly flesh is pretty good exposure).

   First off, I'm glad they picked up Silent Hill 2 Revelation where they left off in the first movie. I thought the family got dealt with a raw deal in that the mother succeeded yet failed at the same time. Revelations adapts the third game with er, Sharon (Cheryl?) as the lead and she braves the horrors of Silent Hill to rescue her father and face her destiny.

   Haha, frankly, I was rolling my eyes at the dialogue the characters were spouting. Sean Bean is a better actor than that. I dunno about the lady but, man, the melodrama with the spoken prose made me wince.

   Another minus is the stupidity of the monsters and, well, people. Sharon isn't very quiet when she walks around, the creatures should be able to hear her easily. She wasn't even trying to hide very hard. Sigh.

   As I haven't played the third game, I don't know what aspects are lifted from the original source material. I'm mixing stuff with the arcade game too, as I thought the terrifying mannikin monster was the same in the shoot'em up. Vincent, the token young male, is apparently canon. I know the detective is. I suppose Leonard is too. But what about the final boss? I'm not sure about that one.

   The monsters and setting are suitably frightening but there are times when the Silent Hill influence blurs too much with the real world. This is especially true in the shopping mall. Usually, there is a stark difference between the worlds, at least from what I recall, but there were times that the setting was so bleak that I couldn't tell when they were in Silent Hill's zone of influence or not.  On the beasties, the creatures are freaky, especially the mannikin and the nurses. The final boss was too Hellraiser actually.

   Malcolm McDowel was a surprise, haha. Sean Bean was saddled with clunky dialogue. Pyramid Head made me shout in triumph at the moment of awesome (that I didn't quite expect but it was awesome!)

   Revelations was ok. It was scary but not too tense. I love that they left the road to Silent Hill open to other interpretations now. Perhaps they'll adapt the second game next?

   Spoilers! Don't look or Pyramid Head will have harsh words with you.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

   I'm happy that Sean Bean is heading back for his wife. She didn't deserve her fate and his journey would be similar to Silent Hill 2, if they decide to take that path. The problem is he left his 18 year old daughter alone in the world. Vincent is no help since he is also raised in isolation. Can they function in the real world on their own? Sharon can't go back to the apartment because she's a murder suspect. They have no money!

   What happened to the seal of Metatron?

   Claudia's alternate character is named the Missionary. She was able to escape Silent Hill to attack Sharon? So were the transformations a conscious act and according to plan? Why were her henchmen so scared then?

   I loved it when Pyramid Head came to the rescue. I sorta expected it when they read that he was Alessa's guardian and executioner. Very cool fight.

   I'm glad Sean Bean and Vincent don't die. Apparently they perish in the game.

   So the final confrontation for Sharon was on the carousel when she merged with Alessa. Hmm, could have been made more major. Pyramid Head at the gears made it strange.

   The bunnies were strange really. Arcade characters?

   I felt really sorry for the travelers who were killed by the mannikin. What a Twilight Zone-y way to go. Ugh, didn't need the juxtaposition of bare breasts and death too. And it was kind of a stupid bit on that part when Sharon just calmly went on after the other girl was dragged away. I mean, she didn't even crawl away frantically.

   The nurse react to sound now? Not light? Loved their scary scene here. Extended exposure over the first movie. The final scenes in the credits with the nurses versus the mannikin were sliiick awesome!

   The creature Sharon shoots in the hospital was breathing after he fell, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment